Cape Organization for Rights of the Disabled

Housing Information You Can Use


Housing Info
You Can Use

Table of Contents

Section 8 Federal Housing Subsidy

Section 8 Project-Based Certificate Assistance is attached to the unit and cannot move with the consumer. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) rules apply. Tenants pay 30% of their household income toward rent.

The Section 8 Certificate Program and the Section 8 Voucher Program are the most well-known housing programs. Consumers apply directly to a local housing authority or non-profit agency (such as the Housing Assistance Corp.) for these certificates of vouchers. If you are eligible, you must find a landlord who will accept this subsidy and you be given 120 days to find a unit (house or apartment). You will pay 30% of your household income toward rent. Some Section 8s are mobile, meaning you can use them anywhere in the United States. To find out if your Section 8 is mobile, ask the administering agency.

CORD can help you to understand the type of housing subsidy you have. The subsidies differ, as do the laws that protect you in public housing.

Copyright © 2018, all rights reserved.
Page Creation by TNET using Boltwire v3.3.2 Hosting Support by MetroWest